Whakarewarewa’s Churches

The two competing churches, Catholic and Anglican, were located at opposite ends of the village. The Anglican church was established when many of the Anglican survivors (after the Mt Tarawera eruption of 1886), moved to the village to join family members.

Closer to the Catholic church were graves along either side of a pathway. Because of the underground volcanic activity, all of the graves were above ground.

img_2638
Whakarewarewa’s famous guide, Maggie Papakura’s memorial stone